Friday, September 5, 2014

Hashtag Tangential Learning

I've realized that I've been throwing around the phrase "tangential learning" a lot lately--usually when I'm talking about my campers. It really is what I strive for as a counselor--and as a game designer. If you don't know what it means, here's a little explanation (if you know what it means already, feel free to skip this next paragraph. I won't be offended. Well... I won't be too offended. I mean, I won't really know, I guess. Only you will. Only you will be able to feel guilty about skipping over a part of this thing I've taken my time to write for no one else's sake but your own. No judgement, though. Seriously):

"Tangential learning" is a phrase that refers to the knowledge you gain from something indirectly which you seek out on your own time. It could be sparked by a class, a book, a game--anything, really. Doesn't even necessarily have to be educational. In fact, sometimes it's even cooler when it's not. All "tangential learning" means is that you, as a person, have found something intriguing enough to seek out more details about it during your leisure time. If you feel this way about something, it's likely that the information learned in this manner will be more memorable, because you care more about it and are taking your own initiative. You weren't forced to memorize flash cards or do practice problems--you took the time to fulfill a curiosity. This, however, makes it relatively hard to instigate tangential learning, which kind of blows. Alright, the people who skipped this paragraph are coming back now. Thank you guys for reading--those other guys are total jerks. Don't tell them I said so, though.

Oh, hey! Did you know that people with guilty consciences are more startled by loud noises? Well, now that we've got everyone together again, let's continue. The easiest way I can think of to incite tangential learning is to offer a link to (or the name of) a resource where a viewer/reader/student can find more information about a certain topic should it be of interest to them. The only way they would feel inclined to use this extra resource, however, is if they view the topic at hand as interesting. Therefore, the best way to inspire this kind of learning is to show your audience something cool to start with, and tell them "But wait, there's more!" or "But we don't have enough time to cover all of [insert subject here]." If they enjoy the small amount of knowledge you've already given them, they'll be more likely to seek knowledge on their own--and, lucky for our generation, we have a convenient source of boundless information at our disposal.

Now that I'm back at RPI, I'm realizing that I like tangential learning so much because I'm so very susceptible to it. Last year, I would look up etymologies of words that I found interesting. This year, I find myself pulling up new tabs during Introduction to Game Design to research tangential topics that Dr. Marc brings up. I've also realized that the reason I love Dr. Marc's classes is because he does bounce all over the place--he brings up unrelated topics and ties them into what we're talking about. And... well, sometimes he doesn't tie it all together. But it's still entertaining, and still makes me want to learn more--which, to me, is what being a teacher is all about. It's not about teaching your students useless crap that they won't even remember after the test, it's about making them want to learn about even more than what you teach them. My favorite teachers in high school and college alike understood this, which, naturally, is why they're my favorite teachers. Good on you guys. Our school system needs more people like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to discuss? Let me know. I'd love to hear feedback.